After DC’s snowy winters, we love to get outside and have time to relax, socialize, and get a little sunshine on our faces. After all, if everybody’s working to hard to go on vacation, at least a little summertime glow will help us look like we’ve been somewhere sunny. And if you want to hang out with your friends, enjoying great food and drinks, and experience unforgettable views, there’s no place better after work than a rooftop bar.
Fortunately, these gorgeous and fun spaces are plentiful, and you have no shortage of restaurants and bars to choose from. Whether you’re looking for casual elegance or a rowdy, party atmosphere, here are the best DC rooftop bars.
- 1905 (website): Located in the Shaw neighborhood and featuring Chef Joel Hatton, 1905 has a roof deck that’s open late every night. Love classic cinema? Tuesday Night Movies feature some great free showings with themed cocktails, snacks, and other beverages. Planning holidays? How about July 4th on the roof deck for barbecue, brews, and prime viewing for the fireworks on the Mall. 1905 just might become your new go-to.
- Bar Deco (website): With a rooftop Happy Hour Monday through Friday, Bar Deco is the place to be when you want to cut out early and hang out with your friends. Featuring a stellar array of wines, beers, and cocktails, Bar Deco is a local favorite. Stop in when you’re on your way to a game or show at the Verizon Center or just come in to people watch and enjoy some of the best food and drinks in the city.
- Sky Bar at Beacon Bar and Grill (website): With the Sky-Bar open from 5 o’clock on seven days a week, and martinis to die for, this award-winning restaurant and lounge features a Live DJ Wednesday through Saturday and a variety of events and parties to keep you coming back. Don’t miss Show Tunes and Cocktails, a sing along event presented by Theatre Washington. And of course, if you’re a brunch fanatic (and who isn’t?) the Champagne brunches here are some of the best in town.
- Biergarten Haus (website): Were you too busy obsessing over the election to party for Oktoberfest? Don’t worry—it’s always Oktoberfest at Biergarten Haus. With three great outdoor bars and a roofdeck, it’s always a party here. Tuesday nights feature trivia competitions starting at 8 p.m. And if your dog is your best friend, he won’t have to stay home and pout. Wednesday’s “Paws on the Patio” means you and your buddy can hang out while you enjoy Happy Hour and he enjoys all new things to see, hear, and sniff!
- El Centro D. F. (website): With not one, but two rooftop bars, and a Tequileria with more than 200 tequilas and mezcals, Richard Sandoval’s El Centro is an experience. And with Sangria Sundays, Taco Tuesdays, Margarita Wednesdays, Latin Thursdays, International Nights, and bottomless Weekend Brunches, there’s always an excuse to go and hang out and enjoy some of the best Latin-inspired food and cocktails anywhere around. (Sorry, Mondays, not sure what the deal is there….)
- Nellie’s Sports Bar (website): The place to be on U Street this time of year, Nellie’s Sports Bar has something amazing going on every day of the week. Whether you’re watching sports, participating in Drag Bingo or Karaoke, or attending Pride Movie Night with Ba’Naka, you’re sure to have a great time. And the roof deck here is the place to see and be seen 24/7.
It’s hard to choose from all of the great possibilities for rooftop dining, drinking, and partying in DC. Try them all and see which one is your favorite. And when you finally decide, let your Eng Garcia Grant Realtor help you find a home just a stone’s throw from wherever you want to be in DC. And there are even some condos with rooftop decks, so you can throw your own outdoor events this summer! Just sign up and let us know what you’re looking for. We can’t wait to help!